Recognizable by its tower the Woermann House in Swakopmund was built in 1905 for the Damara and Namaqua Trading Company. In 1909 the building was sold to Woermann Brock which also ran the Woermann Line shipping company. The tower was used to spot ships at sea and ox wagons inland. Today the Woermann Tower can still be viewed at specific times and it provides an elevated view of the surrounding desert landscape. In olden times a flag was flown from the tower whenever a ship of the Woermann Line was sighted. The Woermann House is easily recognized by its green and yellow exterior. The building has been declared a national monument and is home to a public library and the Swakopmund Arts Association. The gallery on the first floor houses a permanent display of traditional Namibian art and a selection of European graphic art.
- Fish River