Keetmanshoop is the urban centre that ties together the attractions of southern Namibia such as the Fish River Canyon or the quiver tree forest and it is a popular stop on the way to Windhoek or Luderitz. The first European settlers trekked through here as early as 1791. However the town was founded by the Rhenisch Mission Society. With funds from the German industrialist Johan Keetman a church was built and the town was named to honour the donor. After heavy floods the church was rebuilt in 1895 and the building is now a museum. Eagle’s Monument in the Garden of Remembrance is a National Monument and was built to honour German soldiers who died in battles with the Nama. The tourist information in Keetmanshoop is operated by the Southern Tourims Forum and is located in the old Imperial Post Office built in 1910 .